We will wrap up our first full month toegether this coming Friday. A few reminders:
1) The first book project on realistic fiction, the windsock, is due on Friday 9/30. Many students have turned theirs in early. Please remember this is part of the reading grade!
2) The weather has become cooler so remember to dress accordingly! Also, sweaters and hoodies can only be worn in the classroom if they are school wear--no logos or writing can be on them and they must be school wear colors.
3) Planners, reading logs, and HORSE folders must be brought to school everyday with all completed homework!
Finally, a big THANK YOU to all the families that came to last week's Back to School Night! I had 18 families attend. It was great to meet all of you and I look forward to getting to know your families better!
Wednesday, September 21, 2011
Wednesday, September 14, 2011
We have been spending time learning about how to choose books that will help us become better readers. The students are aware that choosing a book that is too easy or too hard will not help them improve their reading skills. One of the important lessons from Daily 5 we recently worked on included making an anchor chart to remind us of these important facts before choosing books to add to our personal "book baggies" used during the Read to Self block. This is the chart below.
Happy Reading to all!
You can help with these ideas at home also. The widget below is from Scholastic and allows anyone to look up a book and check the levels for it--both Lexile and Guided Reading. We use both at Harding. Your student should know his or her levels and is learning to use these as a guide to "good fit" books.
Happy Reading to all!
Friday, September 9, 2011
Just a few reminders--
- Reading logs are to be filled in each night and returned to school each day. I will stamp them each morning so you know that I have seen them. It is the students' responsibility to fill in the reading logs!
- Please check school wear guidelines when students bring sweaters and hoodies to school--they can only be worn in school if they are school wear colors (red, navy blue, light blue or white) and have NO writing, logos, or pictures on them.
- All 4th graders exit the building from Door N. Students cannot leave the building from any other door unless arrangements have been made with the office ahead of time.
- I have had the chance to talk to several parents this week. I look forward to speaking to and meeting all of you! The Back to School Night is on September 22nd at 5pm. I hope you are able to make it!
- Feel free to contact me by planner, phone or email--I check all everyday and make every effort to get back to you the same day!
- Have a great weekend!
Monday, September 5, 2011
I hope you are enjoying this 3 day weekend! The first monthly newsletter came home on Friday. Be on the lookout for a new one at the beginning of each month. Also, the reading logs went home on Friday. Students are responsible for logging their at-home reading each night. This is a part of daily homework. The log should be filled in for Friday and Monday when they return to school on Tuesday!